Is Mold From Water Damage Harmful

That musty smell is not just coming from nowhere. Usually, when you have that musty odor around your house, especially after you’ve experienced a water damage event, it means that you’ve got mold. 

This article will answer the question: Is mold from water damage harmful?

But let’s first start with the basics.

What is mold?

What is mold? Mold is a microscopic organism that digests organic matter and reproduces by releasing spores. Molds are one of over 5,000 types of fungi.

In nature, mold helps decompose leaves, wood and other plant debris. The problem occurs when mold enters our home and begins digesting our walls, floors, etc.

How does mold grow in my home?

Mold enters your home as tiny spores, and these tiny spores require moisture to grow. As they grow, they digest your home and destroy it. Give them a nice place to live, and you will have mold.

Almost any surface will do (as long as it is organic): walls, carpets, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, sheet rock, insulation, and even paint! All that is required for mold to grow is a suitable environment. What is mold in your home other than an unwelcome guest?

There is no way to keep all mold spores out of your home, but you can control the growth of mold by keeping your home dry. In some areas, this is rather difficult, but with the right know-how, it can be done.

How are people exposed to molds?

When molds are disturbed, they release spores into the air. Often, this occurs when people are cleaning up mold. The mold spores are released into the air and inhaled into the lungs. Many people report headaches and runny noses after just a little bit of exposure to mold spores.

Contact with the skin is another way to be exposed to mold spores. This can happen through touching moldy items, eating moldy food, or incidental hand-to-mouth contact.

Is exposure to mold dangerous?

For healthy people, mold is not harmful. However, for people with asthma or who have allergies, mold can pose a health threat. The reaction to mold may be eye irritation, skin rash, nasal congestion, runny nose, and difficulty breathing.

For those with asthma, the risks can be magnified. For some people, mold spores can trigger an asthma attack.

Certain molds produce toxins called mycotoxins. When people are exposed to high levels of mold mycotoxins, they may experience headaches, nausea, fatigue, and eye and lung irritation.

If you suspect that your symptoms are caused by mold exposure, you should see a physician.

How to deal with mold after water damage?

We’ve described some techniques you could apply to remove mold in our article on how to deal with water damage. So check that article out for in-depth tips.

Other than that, the only advice we could give you is to seek assistance from a professional mold removal company. Professionals will come in with protective clothing, decontamination equipment, the right cleaning supplies, and, most importantly, skills and proper techniques. 

When it comes to water damage, we can help you. If you have water damage, especially during the rainy days, call us, and we’ll help you remove the water.

Read More:

Scroll to Top