General, 3 min read
Signs of Mold Presence in Your Home
Learn different signs of mold presence in your home. This will help you deal with the problem before it escalates.
What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus that reproduces by releasing spores into the air, which can then settle and grow in various areas of a home.
Identifying the signs of mold early is essential to preventing its spread and potential health hazards.
Why Mold Grows in Home
Mold grows in homes usually because there is a moisture source somewhere inside.
But mold can also appear on walls if there is no proper ventilation system installed inside your property, mostly in rooms like kitchen or bathroom because of frequent use of showers, faucets, etc.
This should show you that mold is highly dependent on water. However, it is not the only important factor.
Temperature plays a big role in this as well. Mold grows in warm environments. This is one of the main reasons we put our food in the fridge instead of just leaving it in the room. The ideal temperature for mold growth is approximately anywhere between 77 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit (25-30 Celsius).
Lastly, rich plant life helps mold growth immensely.
Do these three sound familiar?
They definitely do if you live in places like California or Florida. The south has ideal conditions for mold growth, and this is why so many people there struggle with mold problems.
Signs of Mold Presence in Home
In most cases, you can see visible signs of mold on your walls. However, that doesn’t have to be the case all the time.
Mold usually grows in dark places; it’s not always easy to spot it. It may be hiding behind your furniture or wallpaper and not be visible at first.
What are some signs I should look for?
Mold doesn’t smell that nice. Just remember the time when you smelled your moldy cheese. Yikes!
If you sense that musty, moldy smell in a certain room or parts of the room, that’s a good sign.
This smell can also be spread around your house if mold grows inside your air conditioner and/or ventilator.
And lastly, sometimes there may not be a musty, rotten smell but just a bad indoor air quality in general, with a stuffy or stale atmosphere. This is also a sign something is wrong.
- Allergic reactions
Individuals sensitive to mold may experience allergic reactions when exposed to mold spores. Common symptoms include sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, nasal congestion, or skin rashes.
If you or your family members experience these symptoms consistently at home but not elsewhere, it could be a sign of mold presence.
- Respiratory issues
Prolonged exposure to mold can lead to respiratory problems. Wheezing, difficulty breathing, chest tightness, or persistent coughing may indicate the inhalation of mold spores.
- Other health problems
Besides allergic reactions and respiratory issues, mold exposure has been associated with more severe health conditions, including chronic sinus infections, asthma exacerbations, and even fungal infections in individuals with weakened immune systems.
- Stains and discoloration on walls
Mold growth often results in stains and discoloration on walls, ceilings, or other surfaces.
These stains may appear green, black, brown, or yellow, depending on the type of mold.
Peeling paint or wallpaper
Mold growth can cause paint or wallpaper to peel or bubble. Bubbling or cracking on painted surfaces or wallpaper that is peeling off indicates mold growth underneath.
As mold grows and spreads, it can cause structural damage to your home. It can weaken walls, ceilings, and floors, leading to structural integrity issues.
Sagging, bulging, or crumbling surfaces call for further investigation by professionals.
Use a hygrometer to measure the humidity levels in different areas of your home. Ideally, indoor humidity should be kept below 50% to discourage mold growth. Consider using dehumidifiers or improving ventilation in humid areas.
One of the signs of high humidity levels is excessive condensation on windows, pipes, or other surfaces. Condensation occurs when warm, moist air comes into contact with cooler surfaces.
Spotted these? It’s very likely that you have mold too, so take a few minutes to look around.
All of the above signs may not be caused by mold. Instead, they may indicate a hidden water leak.
However, that leak will eventually lead to mold development because, as we said earlier, mold thrives in damp environments.
Areas with water damage, such as busted pipe leaks, are highly susceptible to mold growth. If your home has experienced water-related issues in the past, closely inspect these areas.
What to Do if You Spot Mold
If you think that there you’re experiencing a mold problem, you should contact a mold specialist immediately.
Our mold removal professionals will help you detect mold in your house with our professional mold inspection service.
Learn More About Mold: